Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Welcome


For this initial post I would like to start out by welcoming you to my new blog.  If you read the "About Me" section you have learned that I am an educator.  I would like to take a minute to explain my passion for picture books and why I came to write this blog.  When I started my career, I started out in an elementary classroom.  My first year I taught second grade.  I was an excited and nervous twenty something.  And as you may have guessed, reading and picture books were a big part of our everyday.  I spent sixteen years in the elementary school.  I taught every grade at least once, and some grades I taught for years.  And picture books were always a huge part of my students learning. 

In 2004, I was an elementary teacher assigned to the library.  I will be 100% transparent, I was not happy with that placement.  I didn't think I would be a good fit.  I honestly had no idea what a school librarian's job was.  But I accepted the job and vowed to do my best.  It was about a month into the position that I realized that I was a horrible librarian, but that the job had so much potential.  I went back to school to get my LMS.  I graduated from Queens College School of Library and Information Studies as a NYS certified school librarian, and haven't looked back.  I moved from elementary to high school and have honestly never been happier.  

It is now over 15 years later, I have used picture books with my students on the high school level for a variety of reasons that I would like to share.  I have also encouraged high school teachers to use these amazing tools in their instruction.  Picture books are powerful tools that can not only help engage students, but can allow them to understand complex concepts.  Picture books can build connections and continue to foster lifelong reading and learning. And picture books can help you win on Jeopardy

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mysteries of Harris Burdick-by Chris Van Allsburg

  Van Allsburg, C. (1984). The mysteries of Harris Burdick . Houghton Mifflin, United States Of America. From the Publisher Since its public...